Keyontae Johnson update: Florida star released from hospital as tests continue

By Adam Silverstein
December 22, 2020
Keyontae Johnson update: Florida star released from hospital as tests continue

Image Credit: Alex de la Osa / UAA

Florida Gators basketball star Keyontae Johnson was released from UF Health on Tuesday morning, 10 days after collapsing during a basketball game against Florida State. His parents in a statement said they are “amazed at the pace of his recovery and look[ing] forward to spending Christmas together as a family.”

Johnson himself on Friday shared a video thanking fans, Florida State staff and hospital workers for their help in his recovery. He filmed the video sitting up, presumably in a hospital room at UF Health. A video released over the weekend showed Johnson dancing with his Gators teammates on a balcony, also presumably at the hospital.

Since transferring to UF Health about 48 hours after collapsing and initially being treated at Tallahassee Memorial Hospital, the prognosis for Johnson consistently improved. After being removed from a medically induced coma, he began breathing on his own, speaking and being in a positive mood seemingly without interference.

Nika and Marrecus Johnson, Keyontae’s parents, remain unable to provide specifics as to what caused their son’s medical incident but promise they want to share whatever information they can when possible.

“We’ve understandably gotten questions about the cause and extent of Keyontae’s illness. As much as everyone involved wants firm answers, the process to draw definitive conclusions continues, and we ask for patience as the medical professionals continue their work,” the Johnsons wrote Tuesday. “We are committed to sharing not only updates on Keyontae but also any information we think could help others. When we have that, we will share it. Until then, we continue to be grateful for the care and support Keyontae is receiving.”

Johnson spent two days in Tallahassee Memorial Hospital where he was in critical but stable condition before being transferred to Gainesville, Florida.

Johnson, a junior forward and the SEC Preseason Player of the Year, completed an alley-oop dunk ahead of a media timeout during the Florida State game. According to the Gators radio broadcast, he was walking to the top of the arc after breaking the huddle when he fell face-first and laid unconscious on the court. Footage played by ESPN showed Johnson’s eyes open on the court but closed on the stretcher. He had a bloody scrape on the right side of his chin, presumably from falling on the hardwood.

Florida announced last week that it postponed its next three three games, four in total since Johnson’s incident. The Gators will continue their season on Dec. 30 at Vanderbilt, opening Southeastern Conference play on the road.

Join The

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

WordPress Appliance - Powered by TurnKey Linux