FOUR BITS: Finley, Marotti, Tebow, Brewer

1 » Former Florida Gators linebacker Dee Finley confirmed to OGGOA Thursday night that he has chosen to transfer and finish his collegiate football career with the Division II North Alabama Lions. Finley, who decided to leave Florida on Oct. 12, will return to his home state and attend a school just four hours north of his hometown. Gators cornerback Janoris Jenkins transferred to play for the Lions after being dismissed before the season by head coach Will Muschamp and has done very well during his time at North Alabama this year.

2 » Two former Florida players have told OGGOA over the last couple of days that Gators strength and conditioning coach Mickey Marotti is indeed headed to Columbus, OH to team up once again with head coach Urban Meyer at his new post with the Ohio State Buckeyes. Despite reports that Meyer was also after linebackers/special teams coach D.J. Durkin, OGGOA has learned that Durkin plans to stay put and remain with Florida for 2012. However, as the Columbus Dispatch noted on Thursday, Meyer is also interested in bringing over UF wide receivers coach and recruiting coordinator Aubrey Hill. Hill joined the Gators staff under Muschamp after Meyer left.

3 » Former Florida teammates quarterback Tim Tebow and wide receiver Percy Harvin will do battle this weekend when their respective teams – the Denver Broncos and Minnesota Vikings – do battle this week on the NFL gridiron. Harvin, who obviously has plenty of experience playing with Tebow, has been helping Minnesota game plan this week for the Heisman Trophy winner. The Vikings are using backup QB Joe Webb as a Tebow clone in practice in an effort to stop the Tebow train and (5-1 as a starter this year) and lead Minnesota to just its third victory of the season. The Vikings, however, have the ninth-ranked run defense in the league, so Tebow and broncos head coach John Fox may have to use his arm to succeed this week.

4 » After bouncing around between a number of teams of last season, former Gators forward Corey Brewer hopes to have found a more permanent home with the NBA champion Dallas Mavericks. While head coach Rick Carlisle told Brewer that he is pleased with his effort, rebounding and ability to attack the basket, he pointed out that Brewer must improve his jump shot going forward. “We were shooting a lot trying to get my jump shot to be consistent,” Brewer said in mid-November, according to ESPNDallas.com. “All the other things I do well, but I need to be a consistent jump-shooter, especially in our offense. The way we pass the ball you get a lot of open shots.” Brewer may not have done much to help Dallas win last season, but he hopes to be an integral part of the team winning its second title in 2011-12. “I always felt like this was a good move for my future. We have a lot of guys that are aging and I feel like I’d get a chance to come here and help,” he added. “I was happy to be on the team last year and I helped as much as I could, but I knew I wasn’t going to get much time. But now, it’s a new year.”

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

11 Responses to “FOUR BITS: Finley, Marotti, Tebow, Brewer”

1. Joe says:

Hill has too much Shapiro stink on him for Foley’s liking and I doubt we do much to keep him. The last thing we need is the NCAA following Hill to Gainesville and start sniffing around. Great move by Meyer though. 1 Hill has deep recruiting roots in South Florida and 2, the NCAA won’t slap OSU and harder than they are going to for hiring a dirty coach. Time to bring back Dwayne Dixon.

2. goldengator says:

I find it very hard to take an article serious when they misspell Marotti multiple times. A quick Google search gives you the correct spelling. And… I’m also mostly an optimist, but would find it concerning that Hill, a UF Alum, would leave Florida for a lateral position. Another of his former coaches, Stan Drayton, is coaching WR’s for OSU this season although he was a RB coach for Meyer. So I guess the Aubrey Hill rumor doesn’t make much sense to me…

3. chigator says:

Meyer isn’t making many friends down in Gainesville by taking the rest of the program with him. Truly, it is proof that all this good will he claimed to have after resigning was just pandering. I know he is probably a good guy, but he surely isn’t doing himself any favors.

• Gatorgrad79 says:

Good guy?! He’s an egotistical piece of shit for stripping the UF program, who gave him the chance to get out of podunksville, and become a national name with first rate talent and a deep pocket for assistants!

4. g8ter27 says:

Makes no sense for Hill, a Gator alum to go to OSU. Then again, I don’t seem to recall the receivers lighting it up this year or us pulling some giant recruits out of South Florida last year or this so far.

5. gator says:

Meyer is a little weasel!!

6. Andrew says:

Meyer sure is a class act. Drive the program into the ground, quit, then take the entire staff to another school . This is just classless. That said, none of these coaches have been doing a very good job, or our players are just plain teribble. Marotti – has our team looked espescially strong or fit to anyone? Hill – How many catches do our WR’s have? Durkin -Punt returns were good this year huh? Oh and that top ranked punter in high school how has he learned under special teams co-ordinator?

What the hell happened to Florida Footbal? Oh yeah, Urban Meyer.

7. SWFlaJoe says:

For me it’s ok if Durkin stays. Granted our special teams did not perform at the highest level at times this year. But looking at the upcoming recruiting class you will see Durkin’s fingerprints on a lot of the verbals we have currently. He is a solid recruiter and we need that going forward.

As for Hill I am not overly concerned at his potential departure. The receiver corps has not been impressive since the gonzo days.

• JAYGATOR13 says:

HILL MAY LEAVE AND THAT IS ALL FINE AND GOOD. THAT WILL OPEN THE DOOR FOR BELL AS OC AND HIS WIDE RECIEVER COACH ERNIE MILLS. THEY HAVE DONE SOME VERY NICE THINGS AT OCALA AND IN JACKSONVILLE. ALSO BELL IS A TIRELESS RECRUITER, HE HAS SAID THAT HE LOVES GOING INTO THE HOMES AND BUILDING A PROGRAM.