Still replenishing its 2015 recruiting class after losing four commitments in a 10-day span earlier this month, the Florida Gators on Thursday received a verbal pledge from three-star offensive lineman Mike Horton (Atlanta, GA).
Horton (6-foot-4, 320 pounds), a big-bodied blocker sporting an impressive offer list, was being pegged by most schools as a guard but will also have the opportunity to play defensive tackle for the Gators.
“[Head coach Will Muschamp] tells me every day that he wants me in the program. Before, he said they were recruiting me for offensive line, but then, we got a chance to talk,” Horton told Jake Reuse of UGASports.com back on June 9 ($).
“He said, ‘We’ll take you on defense, too.’ I told him I didn’t know exactly where I wanted to play yet, but he said he just wants me in. The biggest thing he’s emphasizing is that they have slots open, and I will have a great opportunity to play early.”
Horton, who ESPN rates as a four-star prospect and the No. 246 overall player in the 2015 class, chose Florida primarily over Georgia, though he also had scholarship offers in his back pocket from Alabama, Auburn, Florida State and LSU, among others.
He is the third offensive lineman to commit to the Gators – second in the month of July – joining four-star George Brown, Jr. (Cincinnati, OH) and three-star Tyler Jordan (Jacksonville, FL). UF also has three-star Andrew Ivie (Dade City, FL) committed as a defensive tackle.
Fellow Peach State native Adonis Thomas (Lawrenceville, GA), a four-star linebacker prospect and friend of Horton’s, is set to announce his decision on Friday. He is set to choose between Florida, Alabama and Georgia.
Horton’s commitment was first reported by Rivals.com‘s Woody Wommack.