Hernandez arrested then released by Patriots

By Adam Silverstein
June 26, 2013

UPDATED STORY: Aaron Hernandez charged with first degree murder

Tight end Aaron Hernandez was arrested at his North Attleboro, MA, home on Wednesday morning at approximately 8:45 a.m. and officially released by the New England Patriots just under two hours later.

Hernandez, who has been under intense scrutiny since June 17 when Massachusetts State Police centered a homicide investigation in and around his $1.3 million, 5,600-square foot house, has yet to be arraigned or officially charged with a crime. That will occur in a Attleboro District Court at some point Wednesday.

Following Hernandez’s arraignment, Bristol District Attorney C. Samuel Sutter will issue a statement and take questions from the press.

Over the last 10 days, police have searched Hernandez’s home three times. They last visited it on Saturday with approximately 20 officers and two K9s, removing multiple bags of evidence from the premises. On Sunday, police searched a swampland area behind the house but were reportedly unable to find anything of significance.

Attorney Michael K. Fee, a lawyer representing Hernandez, released the following statement on behalf of his client on Monday night.

“Over the past week, our client, Aaron Hernandez, has been the subject of a relentless flood of rumors, misinformation, and false reports in the media. These include the repeated publication of a supposedly confirmed report that an arrest warrant had been issued for Aaron, a report that was exposed as untrue. None of these false reports come from official sources and we appreciate the professionalism and restraint shown by the Bristol County District Attorney’s Office to date with regard to its public statements while its investigation is underway. Out of respect for that ongoing investigation, we will continue to refrain from commenting on its substance.”

All records in the death of 27-year-old Odin Lloyd were officially sealed Tuesday by a Massachusetts judge.

Hernandez added a criminal defense specialist to his contingent of lawyers on Tuesday. Attorney James L. Sultan visited with Hernandez in the player’s home for over 30 minutes that day, according to The Boston Globe.

The Patriots acted swiftly to news that Hernandez had been handcuffed at his North Attleboro home after answering the door for police officers on Wednesday, officially releasing him from his contract with the team and releasing this statement.

“A young man was murdered last week and we extend our sympathies to the family and friends who mourn his loss. Words cannot express the disappointment we feel knowing that one of our players was arrested as a result of this investigation. We realize that law enforcement investigations into this matter are ongoing. We support their efforts and respect the process. At this time, we believe this transaction is simply the right thing to do.”

The NFL followed suit with a statement of its own.

“The involvement of an NFL player in a case of this nature is deeply troubling. The Patriots have released Aaron Hernandez, who will have his day in court. At the same time, we should not forget the young man who was the victim in this case and take this opportunity to extend our deepest sympathy to Odin Lloyd’s family and friends.”

Hernandez was signed to a five-year extension with a maximum value of $40 million including a $12.5 million signing bonus and $16 million in guaranteed money just 10 months ago in Aug. 2012.

He was set to earn just under $4.1 million in 2013.

The Patriots are expected to attempt to recover much of Hernandez’s signing bonus.

Photo Credit: NFL


  1. Timmy T says:

    So much going for him, and he chooses the thug life???? Even if he didn’t pull the trigger, he let himself get caught up in this. I’m thinking he did pull the trigger, though. Prayers to the victim’s family.

  2. Ken (CA) says:

    They said this morning that he had been arrested on “multiple charges”. I guess we will find out exactly how deep a hole he is in once the arraignment is over.

    Pats should have signed Tebow 2 weeks earlier to keep the boys in line!

  3. G2 says:

    This smelled bad from the start. Now the stuff that happened at UF is very curious. Where there’s smoke there’s fire. Not gonna be surprised if it’s murder 1.

  4. Michael Jones says:

    A lot of wild speculation about stuff we don’t know, but what we do know is that after the murder (1) he brought in a cleaning crew to scrub his home, (2) destroyed his home surveillance system, and (3) destroyed his cellphone prior to turning it over in little pieces. I guess the Pats decided they didn’t want someone who engaged in that kind of conduct wearing their team’s uniform, regardless of who killed Odin Lloyd.

    • Tractorr says:

      Well now that he has been charged with murder all of those things look more and more likely

  5. Matt says:

    The bad news is that he won’t have any room to ink a map on his body to stage a prison break. The good news … well, there is no good news. This is a kid who threw away an amazing opportunity to become one of the best TE in the NFL all so he can keep it real and continue to hang out with his hometown homies who most certainly didn’t have his best interest in mind.

  6. Joe says:

    So I guess the “rumors, misinformation and false reports” about an arrest warrant that were exposed as untrue were true after all, huh Michael. Michael K FEE is that a a great name for an lawyer or what. Even better than Dewey, Cheatam and Howe)

WordPress Appliance - Powered by TurnKey Linux