Image Credit: Sam Greene
The 2016 NFL regular season began this week with 40 former Florida Gators on the main rosters of 23 of the 32 teams in the league.
Twelve teams have multiple Florida players on their rosters entering the season including Philadelphia (four); Buffalo and Washington (three each); and Atlanta, Chicago, Cincinnati, Indianapolis, Kansas City, Miami, Minnesota, Pittsburgh, Oakland and Tampa Bay (two each).
Of the 35 players on active rosters and not on injured reserve this week, 16 former Gators started and four were inactive (two due to injury).
Below are full updates on all the players on official NFL rosters.
* Denotes first-year player
OT D.J. Humphries: Started
S Keanu Neal*: Inactive — injured (knee)
CB Brian Poole:* Started | three tackles (two solo)
RB Mike Gillislee: One reception for -4 yards
LB Lerentee McCray: Two tackles (one solo)
– McCray was traded by Denver before the start of the season.
LB Brandon Spikes: Played as a reserve
DT Jonathan Bullard*: QB hit
WR Deonte Thompson: Five kickoff returns for 103 yards (long: XXX)
DE Carlos Dunlap: Started | Five tackles (four solo), QB hit, two pass defenses
QB Jeff Driskel*: Inactive — coach’s decision
– Driskel was claimed off waivers by Cincinnati after being drafted and cut by San Francisco.
CB Joe Haden: Started | Three solo tackles, pass defense
OT Chaz Green: Played as a reserve
– Green played the first game of his NFL career after suffering a season-ending injury in 2015.
OG Max Garcia: Started
C Jonotthan Harrison: Played as a reserve
LB Antonio Morrison*: Tackle
DE Dante Fowler Jr.: Started | Three tackles (one for loss)
– Fowler played the first game of his NFL career after suffering a season-ending injury in 2015.
Kansas City Chiefs
DE Jaye Howard: Started
WR Demarcus Robinson: Played as a reserve
Los Angeles Rams
DT Dominique Easley: Three solo tackles, forced fumble
– Easley was a surprise cut by New England in April. He signed with Los Angeles in May.
LB Jelani Jenkins: Started | Seven tackles (one solo)
– Jenkins took one knee during the national anthem.
C Mike Pouncey: Inactive — injured (hip)
DT Sharrif Floyd: Played as a reserve
DE Justin Trattou: Played as a reserve
New York Giants
CB Janoris Jenkins: Started | Three solo tackles
S Reggie Nelson: Started | Eight tackles (seven solo)
TE Trey Burton: Inactive — coach’s decision
K Caleb Sturgis: 2/2 on field goals (long: 38 yards), 3/3 on extra points
DB Jaylen Watkins: Played as a reserve
OT Marcus Gilbert: Started
C Maurkice Pouncey: Started
San Francisco 49ers
OT Trenton Brown: Started
Tampa Bay Buccaneers
CB Vernon Hargreaves III*: Started | Two tackles (one solo)
WR Louis Murphy: Inactive — PUP list
CB Quinton Dunbar: Played as a reserve
RB Matt Jones: Started | Seven carries for 24 yards (long: 12), reception for nine yards
TE Jordan Reed: Started | Seven receptions for 64 yards [team-highs]
WR Frankie Hammond Jr. (Kansas City), TE Jake McGee* (San Diego), CB Marcus Roberson (Buffalo), RB Kelvin Taylor* (San Francisco)
– Despite playing in 25 games over his two NFL seasons, Hammond is now on the Chiefs’ practice squad.
– Carolina signed McGee as an undrafted free agent and waived him with an injured reserve settlement. He was signed by San Diego and then cut and placed on the practice squad.
– Roberson was cut by Los Angeles before the start of the season.
LB Neiron Ball (Oakland, knee), LB Jon Bostic (Detroit, foot), S Matt Elam (Baltimore, knee), DE Alex McCalister* (Philadelphia, calf)
– Bostic was traded from Chicago to New England to Detroit this offseason.
Notable free agents
WR Andre Caldwell, WR Andre Debose, WR Riley Cooper, S Josh Evans, WR David Nelson, DE Earl Okine, DT Leon Orr, DE Ronald Powell, S Major Wright
– Most of the above players lost their jobs as part of roster cuts this offseason.
Retired in 2015
WR Percy Harvin, DE Jeremy Mincey