Florida Gators announce six transfers including TE Taylor, OL Silberman, QB Staver

The Florida Gators on Thursday announced that six players have decided to transfer out of the program, confirming the three freshmen already known to be leaving while adding three additional names – sophomore tight end Kent Taylor, redshirt junior offensive lineman Ian Silberman and freshman quarterback Max Staver.

“These young men felt it was in their best interest to look for an opportunity to play somewhere else,” said Muschamp in a release. “We wish all of them the best of luck.

The No. 1 ranked tight end in the Class of 2012, Taylor was a four-star prospect who was expected to have a major impact as an offensive playmaker for the Gators. Instead, he barely played as a true freshman – catching just two passes including a touchdown in the 2013 Sugar Bowl – and did not step on the field during his sophomore season. Taylor will have three years of eligibility left as he will be able to take a redshirt for 2013.

“I’m gonna miss my friends, my teammates, and gator fans, but you have to do what’s best for u, so thank you for 2 great years gatornation,” he explained in a tweet.

Silberman has started seven games over the last two seasons due to injuries and only has one year of eligibility remaining. Because he is graduating on Saturday, he will be able to transfer to another program and play immediately without sitting for a full season.

“Very blessed to play for this great University for the last four years but it is time for the next chapter. I’ll always be a Gator!” said Silberman via his Twitter account.

A three-star prospect, Staver committed as a big-bodied, strong-armed pro-style quarterback who wanted to play under offensive coordinator Brent Pease.

With Pease being fired and head coach Will Muschamp planning to switch to an up-tempo offense, Staver felt his time was up before it ever began. He will transfer with all four years of eligibility remaining.

“Thank you to everyone for the experience down there and the support. I will miss my teammates, friends, and also the Gator fans. God Bless,” he said via Twitter.

There are more a few more transfers expected in the near future.

Tags: , , , ,

24 Responses to “Florida Gators announce six transfers including TE Taylor, OL Silberman, QB Staver”

  1. Gatoralum88 says:

    I wonder what was wrong with Taylor considering he was the #1 ranked TE in the 2012 class? Blocking ability? He seems to be able to run & catch on youtube fairly well. Getting a verbal from Sharpe is great if you’re losing a redshirt junior. I fear it’s going to be a rocky next 45 days before signing day for Muschoke.

    • g8ter27 says:

      I think the problem with Taylor was the same problem that we had with the #2 overall tight end we signed the same year. We have coaches that don’t realize that you can actually throw to the TE. Pease, Davis and Champ appear to think that the position is another tackle.

    • gatorboi352 says:

      What was wrong with Taylor? The coaches that were over him, that’s what. No player development whatsoever. Case in point: the entire offensive side of the ball the past 3 years.

    • Tractorr says:

      Well we just signed an ESPN top 200 TE today so that brings our TE count for the year to 3. From what I gather Kent Taylor had some blocking issues which is a big problem in this year’s “offense”

      • gatorboi352 says:

        Oh yeah, tractorr? Apparently Kelvin Taylor had blocking issues too. I’m so glad we held him out half the year for that too……………….

        • Tractorr says:

          It was only blocking. Apparently he hadn’t put on enough weight. That says to me that he isn’t working as hard as he should. If he doesn’t want to work…

          • gatorboi352 says:

            Nope, coaches at fault. They should have had him strength training more efficiently earlier on.

            Bottom line: stop making excuses.

  2. gatorboi352 says:

    Again, this is 100% on the coaches. Both the ones fired and the ones that remain at UF.

  3. SWFL Joe says:

    Not surprised by Taylor. We were 4 deep at TE and have 2 more committed. But I do think it’s strange for an offense that is suppose to be moving to a more spread look to be 5 deep at TE. I am shocked by Silberman. Why would this coaching staff let somebody with significant playing time at a position of need just leave out of the blue and with only 1 year left? I would think somebody that could play multiple positions on the line you would want to keep around. Maybe we have more O Line coming besides Sharpe?

    • Ken (CA) says:

      Considering he is graduating, it is entirely possible he is going somewhere else to work on Master’s Degree. As far as incoming linemen, It is extremely unlikely that would factor in his decision. O-line very seldom are ready to play in year 1 and are almost always red-shirted to bulk up more for this level and to learn technique. It would have to be a very special player to not only take over one of several open spots to start in as well as to take the position of a 5th year starter.

      • SWFL Joe says:

        Playing your final season elsewhere worked out well for Patchan, hope it works for him too. While I agree with your assessment for incoming freshman, I was thinking of some JUCO’s who could come in a help right away like Brown.

  4. haters says:

    So many people know what’s going on inside the program and know how the coaches are. It’s amazing. It’s a wonder why schools arnt offering you all jobs with all your expertise.

    • gatorboi352 says:

      The only wonder is how the school justifies paying these clowns the 6 and 7 figure salaries they most clearly don’t deserve. One look over this program over the last 3 years and it all points to one thing: the coaches.

      In Urban’s last year, he simply gave up and let players egos destroy the season. But in the 3 years since, its been a bunch of under qualified doofs getting over paid to experience on the job training at one of the top 5 jobs in college football. Inexcusable. But not to Foley, the man with a crystal ball into the future apparently.

      • Tractorr says:

        While I am by no means a Muschamp apologist, let’s look at the reality of the situation. First year under Muschamp we have a new system in place with less than ideal talent overall (Meyer did not recruit well at certain positions his last couple years) and for the system, so I give them a pass on that one. Second season, while lucky, was still an 11 win season. Third season was the most freakish collection of injuries I have ever seen. It is really hard to put that on the coaching staff. I really think we need to give him one more season. Plus I think he looks at Auburn and has realized that despite it not being in his nature that a more uptempo offense is the future of play in the SEC. With the right OC there is no reason why we couldn’t win the East next year as we have the defensive ability.

  5. Burn Notice says:

    Only clown I see is Gatorboi. Be nice to see something original from your comments. You’re beating a dead horse. You continue to comment on the same crap you’ve dwelled on for weeks, and you sound like a broken record. Get a grip, would be nice if we could all get together and play some ball. Be nice to lay a few of you out that just sound like whiny school girl bitches. Let’s stop focusing on what is not gonna change (head coach, THE LAST THREE YEARS), and maybe talk about what might change (offense, two new coaches, recruiting victories, 2014).

    Look, my attitude is peace out to those that don’t want to stay. We have plenty of new studs and talent that is gonna fill the voids. Future is promising and I’m excited to be a UF Alum and for next season. Plus bball team is looking nasty good.

  6. Champ supporter says:

    Adam, how many of these are just the players decision? I read where Max Staver has decided to transfer also. Do you think any of these players were “helped” with their decision?

  7. Skyler says:

    It’s hard to be very optimistic about next years offense considering the awful o line was the beginning of all the offenses problems this season and were losing 3 seniors along with Silberman giving us only 9 scholarship linemen going into spring. None of the true freshmen will likely be ready to play. Throw in learning a new system and having a new O line coach and it makes it tough to think it will be any better. Good luck Driskel, your going to need it with this group blocking for you.

  8. SW FL Joe says:

    I wonder if we played Starver instead of trying to save his redshirt would the outcome of the last 3 games been different

    • SWFL Joe says:

      Meant Staver, of course. Auto correct and fat thumbs makes posting from my phone very frustrating at times.

  9. aziatic41 says:

    Kent Taylor is going to be a steal for the school that picks him up!

  10. Ryan says:

    Muschamp wants to be an old ball coach, and he doesn’t realize that doesn’t work in the 21st century. Especially not in the SEC, with that said, Taylor will be in the league in 2 years, the kids sick and it’s terrible that muschamp didn’t let him play because he was only 235. He’s probably the most ignorant coach floridas seen besides zook. Can’t blame him for leaving when our offense threw to the TE 4 times all season.