Redshirt sophomore defensive tackle Jay-nard Bostwick, who had seemingly been far removed from the Florida Gators for quite some time despite remaining on the team’s 2015 roster, has been granted a transfer release to leave the program, the school confirmed Friday.
Bostwick (6-foot-3, 283 pounds) missed the entirety of 2015 spring practice and has not been with the team since the conclusion of the 2014 season while dealing with what the Gators have only referred to as “personal issues.”
After taking a redshirt in 2013, Bostwick was suspended for Florida’s 2014 season opener against Idaho and saw limited action as a reserve in five contests last year.
During spring practice in April, Gators head coach Jim McElwain said Bostwick was away from the team “dealing with some personal issues,” which the program respected. He also noted that Florida would “measure” his ability to return to the team once those issues were resolved.
At the 2015 SEC Media Days last week, McElwain did not provide an update on Bostwick’s status, simply noting he was not back with the team.
A four-star prospect, Bostwick announced his decision for Florida on National Signing Day in 2013. It was reported in August of that year by other outlets that Bostwick would be suspended for the Gators’ season opener; the reports turned out to be inaccurate, leading then-coach Will Muschamp to defend Bostwick in a post-game tirade he released on reporters in attendance.
“To take a shot at a freshman that’s done everything we’ve asked him to do since he’s been here. He is a great young man. He is … should’ve played today if we’d have gotten into some situations to play him. He’s done everything we’ve asked him to do. He’s a great teammate. He’s great in that locker room,” Muschamp said. “To take that shot is wrong. It’s damn wrong.”
247Sports.com initially reported Bostwick’s transfer release Friday morning before the school confirmed it later in the afternoon.