FOUR BITS: Uniforms, Elam, Young, Hargreaves

1 » Likely spurred by a picture posted by a 2013 commitment that spread around the internet and OGGOA‘s sourced report on Tuesday, the Florida Gators confirmed Wednesday that the team will indeed be wearing slightly different uniforms for the 2013 season. As described by the school’s website, Florida will be wearing a new style of Nike jerseys that are made of a more breathable fabric, only being used by select schools and “could also be used in the NFL one day.” The Gators will debut them in the 2013 Orange & Blue Debut on April 6. Florida also confirmed, as OGGOA reported Tuesday, that “the fonts for the numbers have changed to reflect the font used in UF’s official athletics brand identity” and that the sides of the jerseys are now mesh to increase “breathability to help reduce heat.” The main part of the jersey number (white) is thicker with the colored lining around it slightly smaller.

2 » Gators safety Matt Elam and kicker Caleb Sturgis will both be competing in the 2013 Quicken Loans All-Star Football Challenge. The event, which is being held for the 15th year in a row, features five separate skills competitions and a total of 20 participants (four in each individual event). Elam will compete in the Skechers GoRun Hands Competition against Texas S Kenny Vaccario, Tennessee wide receiver Cordarrelle Patterson and USC WR Robert Woods. Sturgis will look to outlast FSU’s Dustin Hopkins, Nebraska’s Brent Maher and Louisiana-Lafayette’s Brett Baer in the Speed Kick. The All-Star Football Challenge was held on Tuesday but will not be aired until Saturday, Feb. 2 at 10 p.m. on ESPN2. Encore showings will air on Feb. 3 at 4 p.m. (ESPN2), Feb. 17 at noon (ESPN2) and April 14 at 4 p.m. (ESPN).

3 » So much for Florida defensive line coach Bryant Young possibly joining defensive coordinator Dan Quinn with the Seattle Seahawks. Shortly after the defensive line coach position became available in Seattle, Quinn and head coach Pete Carroll filled it with New Orleans assistant DL coach Travis Jones on Tuesday. As it turns out, Jones was on the same Miami coaching staff with Quinn and Gators head coach Will Muschamp. Also like Muschamp, he is a Georgia graduate.

4 » With National Signing Day just over a week away, Gators five-star defensive back commit Vernon Hargreaves III (Tampa, FL) sat down with the Tampa Bay Times and detailed his entire recruitment, noting how certain teams pitched him and why it was difficult to ultimately make his decision with so many options in front of him. Hargreaves talks about everything from the intimidation of Alabama’s Nick Saban to why he was turned off to the idea of attending Ohio State.

Tags: , , , , , , , ,

14 Responses to “FOUR BITS: Uniforms, Elam, Young, Hargreaves”

1. gatorboi352 says:

“Hargreaves talks about everything from the intimidation of Alabama’s Nick Saban to why he was turned off to the idea of attending Ohio State.”

Already my newest favorite Gator with that line LOL

2. Mr2Bits says:

Will be really happy to see Hargreaves letter come in as he is a great kid that will be an even better Gator.

On a side note, the article uses a very strange comment on him committing to the Gators, I think the word “verbally” would have been better received.

“A consensus five-star recruit, Hargreaves eliminated much of the suspense surrounding his college choice by orally committing to Florida in July”.

3. Bob Beatty says:

As much as I like the nostalgic aspect of the orange unis, it’s time to retire them for good. We were very much an “almost-was” and “also-ran” program during the decade we wore them and while we had some terrific teams (84/85) and players (Wilbur, Kerwin, Emmitt, Collinsworth), I just don’t care to remember that era visually.

Plus, it always seems like we lay an egg when we wear them.

Just my .02.

I *would# kind of like to see them ditch the 1980s Gator script and maybe update with the Gator head they debuted in the 90s. I loved that logo since it came out and the script looks kind of dated.

But if they change nothing, I’m happy and still a dyed-in-the-wool Gator fan.

GO GATORS.

• Alex says:

Gator head would look cheap on a helmet. Script or letter F, no need for cartoons on our helmets

• Tractorr says:

Eh, I never care for the actual mascot on the helmet. I am fine with script or the “F” but not the actual gator.

• Ken (CA) says:

not to mention 84/85 we had our “record 117 NCAA violations” had to give away 2 SEC titles (One they were going to let us keep but Tennessee complained that since they were going to the bowl and we were ineligible they should be champs) and a minor national championship (the most memorable thing in those years was that we were the 1 team that beat Miami each year they had their national championships, and we were the only team in the 80′s with a winning record over UM) Big time frame difference between Collinsworth to Emmitt.

those were my years there 84-88

• Bob says:

Collinsworth to Emmitt were the orange jersey years though, and that was 0-10-1 to 6-5 with who is not the NFL leader in rushing.

And as for the italicized F, I hate it and I hate the font in the endzones as well. Looks like something I’d use in an Excel spreadsheet.

I understand the reticence of using the mascot on the helmet, but I love that logo and have since they intro’d it. I think the script Gators just looks a bit dated after 30+ years is all.

• Ken (CA) says:

I hate the F on the helmet as all, makes me think i am watching football from the 60s or something

• G2 says:

I sent them some designs incorporating the F and UF designs (among others) in the 90′s and early 2000′s with the hope I could help get rid of the outdated Gator script helmet. They were not interested in changing anything then…..but its time for a new look. I’ll even take the throwbacks at this point……think we have one of the worst helmet designs in college football. I would love to see it change.
            Also never use the orange pants again (especially with the blue tops), we seem to lose every time they are worn!

4. Coop says:

What’s the comment about Urban on the BCS Championship broadcast?

5. Ken (CA) says:

With it getting close to NSD, any rumors of potential positive surprises still?

6. Courtney says:

Anyone else think v3 playing safety is a good idea? I mean he actually looked bigger than advertised in the ua game. With the loss of Evan’s,elam, and pop i think v3 would be a great fit there. Plus we are pretty much set at corner it would be a way to get him some early pt. Thoughts anyone?